Many, many, MANY moons ago Izzy tagged me to do the Television Tag. And it’s been a while since I’ve done a non-bookish tag so here we are. I will try really hard to stop at only 5 TV shows per question, otherwise this post will never end. I love TV shows. More so than movies, because I feel like good TV shows get to show character development and I’m all about the characters, just like I am in my books. Let’s get started!
1. Favorite shows?
- Sen Çal Kapımı – This is a Turkish romantic comedy that I truly believe is the best show ever written in this genre. And I’ve devoured a lot of rom-coms that I’ve enjoyed, but no one has topped this show. The show currently has 12 episodes aired, with the 13th being aired this Wednesday. It’s an enemies to lovers, fake relationship story that I adore and that I believe every romance reader would totally adore. If you want to watch it, you can go on their YouTube channel, where you can watch it without subs OR…you know, do some Google searches and you’ll find it for sure with subtitles.
- Strike Back – I’ve said this many times in the past, but I truly ADORE this show. This is probably one of my favorite military/action TV shows ever made. Granted, I only watched the Damien Scott/Michael Stonebridge episodes, so I don’t know how the new team did. Mostly because I can’t imagine this show without Damien and Mike having their insane banter all the time.
- How I Met Your Mother – Obviously we’re not going to talk about the last season. Not at all. But the first 8 seasons were amazing. We get to see exactly the thing I love most, which is character growth. We see all of them change: Barney, Ted, Robin, Lily, and Marshall, all grow up in this show and we get to see that perfectly. Something happened when the writers decided to end the show and they basically butchered 8 years of character development, but again…we’re totally ignoring that fact.
- I Dream Of Jeannie – I grew up watching this show and I remember being fascinated by it. I have really fond memories of watching this show, and I may end up rewatching it soon.
- Xena: The Warrior Princess – Another show I grew up watching. I watched the connected show, Hercules, as well, but it was Xena that caught my attention. I loved how strong Xena was, how fearless, and to me, at the age I saw it (I think I was in primary school), it was the first time that I saw a woman be so strong and be the lead character in a TV show. Buffy came after, but for me it was Xena who opened the doors to strong female characters. Even though, if I’m being truly honest, I saw myself more as Gabrielle rather than Xena.
2. Favorite genre?
I actually don’t have a specific genre that I watch exclusively. Like with every other art form, I go by moods. This week I’ve been feeling the need to watch Arrow again and I watched a few scattered episodes that I knew I loved in the past. Who knows, maybe next week I’ll want to watch crime shows again. I can never predict my moods, and I rarely go against whatever mood I have at the time.
3. Least favorite show?
Angel. I tried many times with that show, but unfortunately Angel’s character was never one of my favorites. At one point I ended up just searching for the episodes where Spike appeared, but other than that I just didn’t root for Angel at all.
4. Most rewatched show/favorite show to binge watch?
Shows that ended that I’ve rewatched a bunch of times are Xena, Strike Back and Erkenci Kuş. As for shows that are still going, Sen Çal Kapımı wins, because I’ve rewatched the episodes from the beginning at least 6 times each, and I’ve rewatched the first 5 seasons of Supernatural about 5 times already. I do think that Xena and Strike Back are the only ones where I watch the entire episode, most of my rewatches are of scenes that I loved within an episode. And yes, I do remember most of the episodes that I’ve watched in a show, so I just jump to the scenes in question.
5. Do you prefer watching week-by-week or binge-watching?
It depends. As with the genres, I go through moods. Usually I like being able to binge-watch, which is why a longer show, like NCIS brings me a ton of joy because I don’t have to wait for the next episode to come out. Week-by-week watching is something I reserve for shows that I truly love, like Sen Çal Kapımı or Castle when it was airing.
6. Favorite TV characters?
- Richard Castle (Castle)- I love his sarcasm, his humor, I love how bashful he can be, how outrageously flirty he can get. I adore him, basically.
- Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother) – Like I said before, I loved his character growth in the first 8 seasons of the show. He grew up beautifully and it was a pleasure watching him become the man of Robin’s dreams. (Yes, I still refuse to acknowledge the ending)
- Abby Sciuto (NCIS) – I adored Abby. She was the kind of character that was different. Goth queen, full of tattoos, funny, quirky, I loved her.
- Eda Yıldız and Serkan Bolat (Sen Çal Kapımı) – I’ll include them both here if only to save time and space. You guys know how much I love them if you follow my weekly review of the show, so I’ll keep it short. I like Eda’s strong nature, and how she sometimes allows herself to be vulnerable near Serkan, while with Serkan I adore how complex he is. He’s not just an unfeeling robot, he’s just a guy that has learned at a very young age that the people who supposedly love him aren’t to be trusted and he’s just protecting himself. It will be interesting to watch how they evolve in the next episodes.
7. Favorite TV ships?
- Eda and Serkan (Sen Çal Kapımı) – I love me some enemies to lovers and these two are just awesome together.
- Oliver and Felicity (Arrow) – I really loved these two together in the early seasons. I love their banter, I love how they took care of each other. I loved Felicity’s inappropriate lines, and how Oliver went from warrior to soft puppy around her.
- Sydney and Michael (Alias) – I remember watching this show while it was airing and it satisfied my need for some really good spy shows. Keep in mind that another show that I grew up watching was La Femme Nikita, which also is one of my favorite shows of all times, so Alias filled that need when it came out.
- Carlitos and Ivo (Muñeca brava) – Throwing it back again to my childhood, this was the first true ship I shipped, back when no one called it shipping. This show is a trip. I remember watching it and completely loving it. It’s actually the show that made me beg my parents to find me a Spanish teacher when I was 8 years old, and it’s actually the reason why I love learning languages.
- Nikita and Michael (La Femme Nikita) – Last but not least, this is one of those TV couples that unfortunately don’t have a happy ending. I know this, I know each and every time I rewatch the show that I shouldn’t allow myself to bask in the happy feelings too much, but I never listen to that voice of reason.
8. Show you could never get into?
9. Show you fell out of love with?
Agents Of Shield…something just…happened after season 3. I can’t say exactly what, but something. And I wasn’t fond of that something.
10. Cancelled too soon?
11. Guilty pleasure show?
I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. So unfortunately I got nothing.